Facilitator's Introduction to Session 2
What planning roles will become more salient in the next decade?
- Planners as entrepreneurs of sustainability: advocating and implementing
- Design strikes back: the return of the repressed. Two-dimensional role
as place makers in urban development, and as designers with nature (integrating
the landscape with the built environment).
- Planners as leaders, future thinkers, bearers of a vision of the good
- Planners as negotiators, mediators and facilitators, with attitude
(that is, committed advocates).
- Planners working with diverse communities in collaborative, communicative
and participatory roles.
- The getting of political wisdom: becoming consciously skilled 'players',
- Can any one planning program teach all of these ambitious and sophisticated
roles? Should they even try? Should each program develop strengths in a
couple of these roles, and recruit accordingly?
- Are there shared values underpinning each or most of these roles that
we could identify and promulgate as 'what the profession stands for'?
- What substantive knowledges, and what process skills (political and
communicative) are fundamental to these emerging roles, and are we teaching